Import MBOX into Outlook: MBOX file format is used by a lot of popular email clients such as Apple Mail, Thunderbird, Entourage, Opera Mail, Eudora, Pocomail, Netscape, and the list goes on. The main purpose of this MBOX mailbox is to store emails, attached files, calendars, contacts, etc. Today, several situations exist where the user has to import MBOX into Outlook 2016 & 2013. In this guide, you get to know all about the migration of MBOX to Outlook.
This can’t be done specifically to think about converting MBOX to PST. To import the MBOX file to Outlook, we need some proper ways. The bad news is that in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010 or any other version you can’t open the MBOX file directly. You have to be curious to know why so just follow the reasons below:
Why PST is better that MBOX file format?
- MBOX format supports email messages only. But the PST format supports multiple formats like emails, contacts, tasks, calendars, notes, etc.
- For storing mailbox data systematically, PST format is very advanced. But the MBOX format is very easy and simple to use because all emails are saved sequentially.
- Exchange connectivity can be done by MS Outlook. With Outlook, it is possible to work in offline mode.
- For users, Outlook provides more control and also offers advanced security features.
How to import MBOX into Outlook 2013 & 2016 by Thunderbird?
Prerequisite: Install Eudora email client on the system.
- Configure Thunderbird with Gmail Account-
1. With Gmail Account configure your Thunderbird mail first.
2. Then open Mozilla Thunderbird. Go to option Accounts >> Create a New Account >> Choose Email.
3. Choose and click on Skip this and use my existing email.
4. Enter your Name, Email Address Password & >> Continue on Mail Account Setup Window.
5. Choose IMAP Configuration as given below:
|Incoming Server (IMAP):||imap.gmail.com Port :||993 SSL: SSL/TLS|
|Outgoing Server (SMTP):||smtp.gmail.com Port:||465 SSL: SSL/TLS|
6. Hit Done.
7. The next step is to drag your Thunderbird MBOX emails from Inbox, Drafts, etc. to Gmail.
8. All MBOX emails shifted to Gmail.
- Configure Gmail in Outlook 2016 & 2013-
To import MBOX file to Outlook follow the below steps:
- Navigate File tab first then click on File tab>> Add Account.
- Then Fill up all the details in the box will appear on the screen & hit Next.
- After the completion of the import MBOX into Outlook process done successfully.
How to import MBOX into Outlook 2013 & 2016 by saving as EML Files:
- Save emails of MBOX as EML Files
- Initially, open the MBOX email client. Then do Right-click on a folder and hit on the New Folder option.
- Into the new folder, enter a name and hit on Create Folder.
- Choose all the EML messages that you want to import and move them to a newly created folder.
- You will see that all the emails are present in the folder.
- Select all the emails and choose the Save as an option. Then all the selected emails will save in EML format to any desired location.
- Drag and Drop EML Files
First, open the location of saved EML files. Then choose all the emails and to any Outlook folder drag and drop them.
- Export to PST
- Visit to File>Open & Export>Import/Export.
- Select Export to a file and hit on Next in the Import/Export wizard.
- Then choose the Outlook Data File (.PST). Hit Next.
- Next, visit that folder where EML files are saved and hit Next.
- Add a path for the new PST file, select a specific option, and hit on Finish to end the process.
- Assign a password for the newly created PST File.
- A PST file is created into a new location.
By the above steps, import MBOX to Outlook done successfully.
We have discussed various manual solutions for the user’s migration problem to import MBOX into Outlook. You may opt for any of the above-mentioned steps as per your choice to effectively solve your issue.